Tips to Avoid Injury When Raking Leaves
- Keep your knees bent – no bending from your back
- Avoid twisting – move your feet as you turn
- Keep the rake close to you – make shorter strokes
- Stagger your feet
- Kneel or sit to bag leaves, do not bend forward
Don’t Forget Hand Safety!
Raking can take a toll on our hands and wrists and cause injury if we are overdoing our activity. Any activity you perform for more than two consecutive hours or for greater than four hours a day puts you at risk for repetitive strain injuries.
- Warm-up with light exercise or stretching
- Use proper equipment, including wearing gloves
- Practice good technique
- Pace yourself! Take breaks every 20-30 minutes
- Switch hand position every few minutes